Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The World Is A Town . . .

. . that is what my husband would say when we would travel and see the similarities in people, places, and things that resembled home. After reading the 5gyres.org blog I can say that about plastic in the marine environment. When Jennifer O'Keefe and I voyaged the Atlantic last summer looking for plastics we witnessed a fish trapped in a bottle - so did Marcus Eriksen and Anna Cummins on their recent voyage out into the Atlantic. When Jennifer and I were in Bermuda, we surveyed the shores and concluded that islands in gyres must accumulate wayward trash from plastic concentration zones in gyres. I made the same observation in Hawaii. Marcus and Anna found the same occurance on both Bermuda's and the Azores' beaches. When I was in the North Pacific Garbage Patch, I pulled a toilet seat out of the ocean, Anna found one on the Azore shores. Global, this problem is global and we all need to do our part to prevent more of this plastic entering our oceans that end up trashing the locations many people look to for vacation, relaxation, and beauty - our islands. Check out these three videos and see for yourself.






<

Dumped Beach Azores from 5 Gyres on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment